The total number of COVID 19 cases in Kenya has now risen to 122 after 12 more cases were confirmed in the last 24 hours. Making the announcement, Health Chief Administrative Secretary Dr. Mercy Mwangangi said the new cases are from 362 samples tested. The new cases involve one foreigner and originated from the quarantine centres
Giving the profiles of the new cases, Dr. Mwangangi said of these, 11 are Kenyans with 1 Somali national with 8 of them being male and 4 females. The confirmed cases are of 8 males and 4 females aged between 28 to 68 years. Up to 1721 of their contacts have also been traced and tested. Meanwhile, 1, 433 samples have been tested from individuals in quarantine.
Dr. Mwangangi said that the 12 patients have been moved into isolation in the different facilities designated by the Government.The Health Ministry is monitoring 1,721 contacts and so far 1,073 have been discharged.
This even as one more patient has lost their life to COVID 19, bringing the total number of deaths in the country to 4. The latest case is of a 6 year old male child , whom the Health CAS said, had other pre-existing complications that were exacerbated by the virus.
Health Ministry Director General Dr. Patrick Amoth further explained all the medical personnel who handled the 6 year old child who passed on at the Kenyatta Naitonal hospital, have been quarantined, and all infection prevention control measures put in place.
As concerns preparedness and prevention of COVID 19 spread, Industrialization Cabinet Secretary Betty Maina said local textile industries have begun to produce the personal protective equipment for medical personnel, and masks for use by all Kenyans in public service vehicles. Maina said the Kenya Bureau of Standards has already issued certification of the equipment to be used starting Monday, April 6,2020.
Maina further said the cost of the masks that will be locally produced in mass, will be Ksh 20 or less, to ensure majority of Kenyans are able to afford them. Health CAS Dr. Mercy Mwangangi said the masks will be used by health workers as well as passengers on motorbikes, Tuktuks , and matatu operators.
The Kenya Bureau of Standards (KEBS) in a statement, confirmed that it has allowed manufacturers and individuals to access specific Standards related to production of personal protective equipment (PPE) – free-of-charge as the fight against Covid-19 spread intensifies.
Lt.Col (Rt) Bernard Njiraini, the Managing Director said in a statement that KEBS is facilitating businesses – ensuring they produce items that meet the specific requirements as well as complementing government’s efforts to safeguard the health and safety of all Kenyans.
Njiraini said the standards shall be appropriately watermarked “Provided by KEBS. Limited Access during COVID-19 Emergency. Personal use only.”In the meantime, the Kenya Bureau of Standards (KEBS) today held sessions with Manufacturers of Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) who wants to start mass production of those gears that includes masks and gowns as the country steps up the fight against COVID – 19 pandemic.